"It is really a place of unconditional love. I can be myself, and people love me for that. To be able to help these girls is really incredible to me because it's kind of like helping my youngerself."
Student & Girl Talk Teen Advisory Board Member
“It is really a place of unconditional love. I can be myself, and people love me for that. To be able to help these girls is really incredible to me because it's kind of like helping my younger self.”
Many middle school and high school students feel pressured to fit in, to be normal. But there is no normal, Jessica Rao says. She has learned that all girls have issues, but they also have a supportive community in Girl Talk.
Through Girl Talk, high school girls mentor middle school girls, helping them to build confidence and develop leadership skills. Jessica, a 17-year-old high school senior from Dunwoody, Georgia, came across the Girl Talk program online at the end of her freshman year, the day before a Girl Talk camp application was due. She filled it out, and Girl Talk changed her life.
Girl Talk participants have discovered a group where they don't have to hide, where they can instead learn and grow. She became an ambassador at the camp the next year and joined Girl Talk’s Teen Advisory Board. She is now in the process of starting a new Girl Talk chapter at a nearby school.
Middle school was difficult for Jessica. Her own similar experiences have meant that she is more easily able to relate to younger students and guide them.
“I think it’s taught me that we’re never alone,” Jessica says.
The mission of Girl Talk is to inspire all girls to develop the confidence to lead by empowering one girl at a time.
Thirty-One Gives is proudly celebrating six years of a fully integrated partnership that has empowered girls throughout the U.S. and Canada to become strong, confident leaders.
Did you know
- Thirty-One Gifts has inspired nearly 50% of all Girl Talk chapters in the U.S. and Canada
- Together we have reached over 65,000 girls with a leadership curriculum designed for high school girls to mentor middle school girls
- Girl Talk rolled out a comprehensive, multi-platform rebrand with a redesigned website in conjunction with International Day of the Girl thanks to Thirty-One Gifts
- Every new Girl Talk chapter receives a Thirty-One Welcome Kit
- Thirty-One Gifts provides product for Girl Talk’s annual camp, which 50% of girls attend on scholarship
- Many Girl Talk award recipients have come from chapters with advisors who are Thirty-One Gifts Consultants
- Hundreds of girls have received handwritten inspirational messages from Thirty-One Consultants